NAD Electronics, the highly regarded manufacturer of high-performance audio/video components, showcased its a unique Modular Design Construction (MDC) program at CEDIA ’09. MDC enables dealers and installers to offer custom configurations to owners of NAD’s high-value A/V products. Owners can install one or more elements of NAD’s innovative new mechanical architecture into select NAD A/V Receivers and Preamp-Processors, or purchase new components already equipped with the MDC architecture.
Developed exclusively by NAD, MDC greatly improves products’ performance, functionality and ease of use, while protecting them against premature obsolescence. It also simplifies product servicing, and enables NAD to more quickly bring to market new “advanced technology” features. “MDC’s advantages are clear, for both consumers and our dealers,” said NAD Director of Product Development Greg Stidsen. “Consumers have the comfort of knowing their investments will not become prematurely obsolete, and dealers know they can promote MDC as an important benefit.”
MDC updates NAD’s Building Block Concept, a powerful design approach the company pioneered more than 30 years ago. The Building Block Concept allowed NAD’s integrated stereos to accommodate more powerful amplifiers while retaining the preamp section of the integrated amp. MDC reinvented the Concept by combining NAD’s traditional benchmark-performance pedigree with leading-edge, feature-driven technologies, yielding the critical operational functionality today’s video-centric world requires.
The heart of MDC is four plug-in modules that add valuable features and capabilities while maintaining all input and output connectivity. The modules cover digital audio and HDMI functions, component and analog video functions, and two-channel and multi-channel analog audio functions. They include:
· The MDC AM 100 Module features a 250 MIPS Dual Core digital signal processor (DSP), Audyssey Setup, and decoding for Dolby Digital Plus, TrueHD, DTS High Definition and Master Audio formats. Its connections include 3 coax digital audio inputs, 3 optical digital audio inputs, 1 coax output and 1 optical output.
· The MDC AM 200 Module features compatibility with Audyssey MultEQ XT, Audyssey Dynamic EQ, which preserves the full impact of movie soundtracks; Audyssey Dynamic Volume, which prevents large jumps in volume when TV channels or video sources are changed; and Audyssey MultEQ Pro. It includes two 300 MIPS Dual Core DSPs, and decoding for Dolby Digital Plus, TrueHD, DTS High Definition and Master Audio formats. Its connections include 3 coax digital audio inputs, 3 optical digital audio inputs, 1 coax output and 1 optical output.
· The MDC VM 100 Module converts standard-definition analog video to HDMI output. It supports all resolutions up to 1080p/60, and de-interlaces SD video from 480i and 576i to 480p and 576p. It includes an HDMI Repeater, 3 HDMI inputs, and 1 HDMI output.
· The MDC VM 200 Module converts SD analog video to HDMI output, and supports all resolutions up to 1080p/60. It comes equipped with a VXP Broadcast Studio Quality Image Processor capable of motion adaptive de-interlacing with edge interpolation, which eliminates the jagged edge effects common in lesser image/scaling processors; film mode detection with output cadence generation, which gives video the smoothness of film; programmable scaling with aspect ratio conversion, which perfectly matches a video source with a video display; frame conversion to and from any refresh rate (in NTSC and PAL), and advanced noise reduction and detail enhancement, which enrich the display of analog video sources. The module includes an HDMI Repeater, 4 HDMI inputs, and 1 HDMI output.
Current owners of NAD’s flagship Theater Series components — the T 175 Preamp-Tuner-Processor and T 785, T 775 and T 765 AV Receivers — can have their units upgraded through their dealers, while upgraded versions of each are also available. Modular Design Construction premieres in NAD’s Masters Series with the introduction of the M15HD Surround Sound Preamplifier.
MDC modules are available from authorized dealers and custom installers at prices ranging from $400 to $950.
- CEDIA 2009 -
- NAD Electronics -
- Modular Design Construction (MDC) -
- A/V procucts -
- MDC Am 100 Module -
- MDC AM 200 Module -
- MDC VM 100 Module -
- T 175 Preamp-Tuner-Processor -
- T 785 -
- T 775 -
- T 765 -
- AV Receivers -
- M15HD Surround Sound Preamplifier -