In Border Run, Sharon Stone stars as Phoenix television reporter Sofie Talbert, a hard-nosed, right-wing journalist who exposes liberal politicians soft on illegal immigration. But when her relief-worker brother (Zane) goes missing in Mexico, Sofie's own south-of-the-border investigation traps her in a deadly underworld of migrants, smugglers, and cold-blooded murder. Here, nothing is what it seems. Nobody should be trusted. And when one woman crosses the line, there can be no turning back. (Gary Reber)
The facts as portrayed in the movie:
• Drug cartels now manage most human migration routes to the United States. If you want to cross into the U.S. illegally, you will likely pay a drug cartel. The approximate fee for illegally crossing into the U.S. from Mexico is $2,500 to $5,000. From Central America, it can cost up to $10,000.
• Approximately 500 migrant bodies are found each year on U.S. soil. Most immigrants walk for days and succumb to extreme conditions of heat and cold.
• It is well known amongst migrant smugglers and migrants themselves, if you are a woman illegally crossing the border, you will be raped.
• In 2010, a leader of the Mexican drug cartel known as the Zetas massacred 72 Central American migrants for refusing to pay extortion money.
• In the past five years nearly 50,000 people have been killed in suspected drug-related violence in Mexico and over 5,000 people have disappeared.
• Currently over 150 U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers have been indicted for charges ranging from assisting cartels to human smuggling to accepting bribes.
• The drug cartel violence has made Juarez, Mexico the most dangerous city in the world, and Mexico has five of the top ten most dangerous cities in the world.
• The illegal drug trade between the U.S. and Mexico generates approximately 40 billion dollars a year.
• Mexico's illegal drugs are bound for the United States.
• The U.S. is the world's leader in illegal narcotic
• The U.S. spends 15 billion dollars a year on the war on drugs,
There are no special features.
The 2.35:1 1080p AVC picture exhibits a raw, realistic presentation. The color palette is naturally hued with warm earth tones. Contrast is well balanced with deep blacks and shadow delineation that reveals texture. Fleshtones are perfectly natural throughout. Resolution is excellent, with fine detail exhibited in facial features, hair, clothing, and object texture. This is realistic viewing experience full of emotional impact. (Gary Reber)
The Dolby® TrueHD 5.1-channel soundtrack is dynamic, with an expansive and deep soundfield presence, with aggressive surround energy during intense scenes. The music score is emotionally charged. Notable, is the excellent sound quality of the solo acoustic guitar segments. Dialogue is generally naturally projected, though, at times waning in spatial integration. Deep bass is enhanced in the .1 LFE channel to sub-25 Hz frequencies during the more intense moments. This is an engaging sonic experience that effectively enhances the emotional storytelling. (Gary Reber)