Warner Bros. Discovery Celebrates The 20th Anniversary Of "Elf"
Get Ready to Spread Holiday Cheer as Warner Bros. Discovery Unveils 20th Anniversary “Elf”-stravaganza Celebrating Two Decades of Holiday Magic Empire State Building to illuminate in Buddy the Elf’s Signature Colors - Green and Yellow - on Tuesday
November 1, 2023
In honor of the film that has become a holiday tradition for families around the globe, Warner Bros. Discovery announced today a gift bag of goodies, events, and experiences to celebrate the 20th anniversary of New Line Cinema’s “Elf.” The company-wide celebration includes new “Elf”-inspired anniversary products and experiences, TV programming, theatrical movie screenings, and an all-new “Elf” social filter, designed for fans to step into Buddy the Elf or Jovie’s signature outfits.
“For 20 years now, the film ‘Elf’ has securely cemented itself as a treasured holiday tradition, touching the hearts of generations of viewers,” said Robert Oberschelp, GM, North America and SVP, Global Franchise Management & Brand Product, Warner Bros. Discovery. “Fueled by the infectious holiday spirit of Buddy the Elf, Warner Bros. Discovery is going all in with an extraordinary lineup of ways to watch “Elf” and engage with products, experiences, activations, and so much more, to invite fans to partake in this remarkable milestone anniversary. Our aim is to inspire more and lasting ‘Elf’ traditions that families can enjoy for many years to come.”
The celebration will kick off in the “magical land called New York City” on Tuesday, November 7 at Buddy the Elf’s dad’s office, also known as the Empire State Building, when for one night only, the iconic landmark will be lit green and yellow to pay tribute to the film’s 20th anniversary. Viewers outside of New York City can watch the Empire State Building live cam.
Prior to the lighting at dusk, Warner Bros. Discovery will host a sweet pop-up cart featuring treats inspired by the elves’ four main food groups: Candy, Candy Canes, Candy Corn, and Syrup, to be given away for free to guests who purchase tickets to the building’s 86th floor Observatory on Tuesday, November 7, from 2:00 PM – 5:00 PM EST, available while supplies last.
Adding to the festivities, visitors who pass through the building’s iconic Fifth Avenue Lobby Windows, from November 7 through January 1, will be transported into the whimsical world of Buddy the Elf and his adventures, all the way from the North Pole to New York City. The “Elf”-themed shoppable window displays will be a visual feast for visitors, featuring a range of “Elf”-inspired products that capture the magic and merriment of the film. Beginning November 10, guests who visit the building’s 86th floor Observatory can pose with a life-size version of “Buddy the Elf” with a free photo opportunity. And to top it all off, Empire State Building will be hosting “Elf” movie screenings on December 3, 10, and 17, high atop the building’s 80th floor. Complimentary candy, snacks and beverages will be provided. For more information about the Empire State Building, please visit esbnyc.com, and to purchase tickets to “Elf” movie screenings, please visit here.
Here are some other exciting highlights for “Elf’s” 20th anniversary celebration which will continue throughout 2023:
“Elf” will be back on the big screen this holiday season beginning November 17 in participating North America and UK cinemas. Check your local listings to find Buddy the Elf as he journeys through the seven levels of the candy cane forest and through the sea of swirly-twirly gumdrops.
Fans of the holiday classic will also have a multitude of options to enjoy the film from the comfort of their homes. In November, viewers can watch “Elf” on TBS & TNT, and stream on Max. As December approaches, the holiday spirit will be in full swing with the beloved film streaming on Max and Hulu and running all month long on AMC. And for those cinephiles who wish to own a copy of the film, “Elf” is available on 4K UHD and digital. The festive spirit doesn’t end there, as The Food Network will also be hosting a special “Elf”-themed episode of “Christmas Cookie Challenge” on November 23.
From Warner Bros. Discovery Global Consumer Products comes a variety of commemorative “Elf” 20th anniversary products allowing families to enjoy the joyous spirit of Buddy the Elf in their everyday lives. WB Shop just launched a new collection of “Elf” products to celebrate the film’s 20th anniversary including apparel, accessories, and holiday wrapping paper that is sure to get everyone in the festive holiday spirit. Additional collaborations with premiere partners across all categories include:
- Foods: Starting this month, BRACH’S, America’s #1 Candy Cane brand*, is making holiday moments sweeter with a new, limited-time only lineup of “Elf” candy including BRACH’S x ELF Candy Canes, Swirly Twirly Gum Drops, and Candy Cane Forest Mellowcreme® Candy, available now for a limited time at retailers nationwide. Inspired by one of the four food groups by Buddy the Elf, “syrup,” Mrs. Butterworth’s has released a limited-edition “Elf”-themed Sugar Cookie Pancake Mix Kit and a specially designed bottle of Original breakfast syrup, available in stores through the holiday season. Goldfish is also bringing smiles and spreading holiday cheer with its new Goldfish® Elf™ Limited Edition Maple Syrup Flavored Grahams, available online and in stores. Other premiere food partners include Keebler’s “Elf” gingerbread fudge stripe cookies, General Mills baking mix and iconic “Elf” hat shaped cookie dough, and more tasty treats to be announced.
- Home: Pottery Barn’s “Elf” collaboration brings whimsy and fun to people’s homes this holiday season with a collection of over 25 pieces including décor, bedding, tabletop, seasonal accessories, and holiday gifts. Picnic Time makes the perfect hostess gift, an “Elf” themed wooden cheese/charcuterie board in a snow globe shape with a split-level and interior cheese knife set. To keep homes smelling festive throughout the holidays, Homesick will release three heartwarming and whimsical scents on November 7, inspired by iconic scenes and locations from “Elf” and Goose Creek will launch six candles on November 3 with festive Buddy the Elf graphics and movie-inspired scents that will transport fans straight to the North Pole. Make Christmas cozier than ever with Franco’s collection of super soft “Elf”-inspired throws, pillow buddies, and more, available online and in stores.
- Toys, Collectibles, and Publishing: Buddy the Elf masters the Etch A Sketch and fans can too with Spin Master’s new special-edition Etch A Sketch available in classic and pocket sizes. Funko is also joining in on the festivities with Bugs Bunny dressed up as Buddy the Elf to celebrate the film’s 20th anniversary and Warner Bros. 100th Anniversary, along with a new Buddy the Elf 2023 web exclusive coming soon. MGA’s Miniverse announced today their new Make It Mini Food™ Holiday Theme collection, bringing an ultra-rare surprise collectible inspired by Buddy the Elf Spaghetti dish. From Running Press, the “Elf: Talking Narwhal” mini makes a great stocking stuffer, and the “Elf: The Classic Illustrated Storybook” from Quirk Books with exclusive 20th editions can be found at Kohl’s and Barnes & Noble.
- Party Supplies and Seasonal: Decorate with zest for the holidays like Buddy the Elf with Bonjour Fête’s festive party supplies and home decorations. Find the perfect gifting items from Typo with mugs, cards, wrapping paper and more. DecoPac’s bakery supplies help kitchen elves prepare the perfect sweets for “Elf” movie night and other celebrations. Hallmark adds eight new “Elf” ornaments to its collection, including a hand-blown glass ornament and Hallmark Keepsake Ornaments. Christopher Radko will honor the film’s 20 years of entertainment with a stunning European Glass tree topper. Enesco offers the new Jim Shore collection featuring Buddy the Elf and some of his favorite friends in a charming and wonderfully whimsical range of standing figurines and hanging ornaments. And Williams Sonoma has an exclusive 12-day advent calendar filled with some of Buddy the Elf’s favorite treats - a delicious way to count down the days until Christmas!
- Fashion and Accessories: Santa came early this year with a family collection at Sam’s Club including an interactive “Elf” Sweatshirt that highlights iconic quotes from the film - fun for all ages, available in stores now. Families know there’s no better way to get cozy on the couch for an “Elf” viewing than when wearing Hanna Andersson’s “Elf”-inspired pajamas. Right in time for the holidays, RSVLTS will soon be launching its newest collection of fashionable “Elf”-inspired apparel and sure to make you smile, Stance socks celebrate “Elf’s” 20th with brand new styles. On November 10, Alex and Ani will release one updated charm bracelet featuring an “Elf” charm. Loungefly offers a new “Elf” 20th Anniversary Cosplay Mini Backpack and Wallet featuring Buddy the Elf and his favorite toy. And Pura Vida Bracelets has a collection launching on November 14 of “Elf” inspired bracelets that celebrate the holiday season just in time for the 20th anniversary of the film.
- Pet: Share your how-liday spirit with your dog! Sassy Woof has an “Elf” collection for fur babies of all sizes that includes harnesses, collars, leashes, and more in an original pattern showcasing Buddy the Elf’s favorite things.
- Footwear: Express your “affinity for ‘Elf’ Culture” wearing high-end slippers from premium footwear brand, TIME. Launching later in November, the eye-catching green suede slippers are designed to look like sneakers with a special Christmas twist. Crocs has a comfy pair of fuzz-lined dark green Classic Lined Clogs providing comfort and warmth, for both kids and adults. Decorated with “Elf” Jibbitz™ charms, these shoes are available beginning November 6.
- Beauty: As Buddy the Elf would say, “you look miraculous” and these new beauty collaborations will help keep you looking that way. From Revolution Beauty comes the new Revolution x “Elf” collection including a themed palette, makeup bags, lip glosses and more, available at Walmart, in stores and online beginning November 4. On November 2, the “Elf” x Kitsch collection brings a limited-edition lineup of festive hair accessories and cozy satin pillowcases in prints that will bring the magic of the film to life in a whole new way.
EXPERIENCES, ACTIVATIONS, AND EVENTS
CineConcerts and Warner Bros. Discovery Global Themed Entertainment present Elf in Concert debuting on Nov. 17 in San Jose, Calif. at the San Jose Center for the Performing Arts before heading to more than 30 cities worldwide. Local orchestras will perform John Debney’s heartwarming score live to picture, projected onto a 40-foot movie screen. For the complete performance schedule, location details, and to sign up for on-sale notifications in your area, visit the official website.
“Elf” the smash hit musical returns to London’s Dominion Theatre for a second consecutive year to play a strictly limited season from November 15, 2023, until January 6, 2024. For more information or to purchase tickets, please visit here.
The American Red Cross will gift those who come to donate blood or platelets with a pair of cozy “Elf” X Red Cross socks from November 10-30, while supplies last. For more details, visit RedCrossBlood.org/Elf. For sports fans, “Elf” will partner with the Houston Rockets to gift fans who are attending the game on December 20, with their own “Elf” X Houston Rockets holiday mug reminiscent of a snow globe. Peer-to-peer car sharing marketplace, Turo, will introduce five “Elf”-themed cars for a limited time starting December 6. Each “Elf”-themed vehicle will come with holiday treats and surprises for fans to enjoy. And for families who like to burn off the calories from their “Elf” spaghetti and maple syrup breakfast, a 5K virtual “Elf” fun run from partner Ventures Endurance with “anywhere convenience” is open for registration starting November 2.